Bring the holiday spirit into your living room with these cute and simple pillows!
DIY Christmas & Holiday Pillows
Pillows are actually a very easy DIY project. They are also a cost effective way to change up the look of your living space. With just a couple of tools and a few minutes of sewing, the spirit of Christmas can be easily incorporated into your holiday home décor. Plus, if you do not have a sewing machine, you can hand stitch the pillows.
To Create the Joy Pillow:
1. Use the RazorEdge™ Fabric Shears for Tabletop Cutting to cut a swatch of felt slightly larger than the pillow you intend to make, and use a fabric marker to trace and handwrite the word "joy" onto the center of the felt. These shears are great for making smooth cuts all along the table because of their unique handle design. The fabric will remain flat on the table for improved accuracy.
2. Place the Rotary Cutter and Ruler Combo on top of the felt and trim your pillow face to the size you need to cover your pillow. Make sure to account for your seam allowance. This tool is so easy to use as its all-in-one design allows for quick, accurate cuts. Plus, the grid lines are easily visible on light or dark fabrics.
3. Cut a second piece of felt to the same dimensions to create the back to your pillow cover. Pin the pieces together, right sides facing each other, and sew around three sides.
4. Turn the pillow right side out and insert your pillow form. Finish the cover by hand stitching the open side closed.
To Create the Christmas Tree Pillow:
1. First, layer two pieces of green felt on top of each other and fold in the center vertically. Use scissors to cut all four layers of the felt on an angle.
2. Cut two small rectangles from yellow or brown felt to make the base of the Christmas tree. Sew the pieces of felt together, leaving a small gap at the bottom to insert stuffing.
3. Turn the pillow right side out so that the seams are inside, and add stuffing. Once the pillow has been stuffed, sew the pillow shut.
4. Now, it's time to add embellishments to the pillow with fun colors and jewels. Use the RazorEdge™ Easy Action™ Micro tip Scissors to cut tiny circles from various bright colors of felt. These detail tip scissors are great for cutting intricate pieces. Adhere the cut felt circles and some jewels onto the pillow using a strong fabric adhesive.
To Create the Star Pillow:
1. Use your scissors again to cut gold fabric along a printed star template. Two fabric stars will need to be cut for this project.
2. Sew around the edges of the pillow and trim off the excess fabric hangover. Keep one side open so that you can insert stuffing. Once you have filled the pillow, sew the open side shut.
With just a few supplies, you can creatively decorate your home for the holidays. Think outside the box, and try covering a pillow you already own.
Click here for more inspiration on creating Christmas decor, ornaments and gifts.